Dr. Linda Papadopoulos is one of the most well-known and respected psychologists working in the UK today.
Her 14 year career as a research scientist and practicing psychologist has led to her work being published in some of the most well-regarded academic journals and given rise to a high profile media-career. Her observations regarding the psychology behind news and current events are syndicated by the press and discussed by television and radio networks both in Britain and in the USA.
She has a prolific academic publication record and has published widely in peer reviewed academic journals in the fields of Psychodermatology, Body Image, Counselling and Medical Psychology. Her books and research articles in the field of Psychodermatology exploring the link between the skin and the psyche are considered seminal in the field.
Founder and director of the successful Programme in Counselling Psychology at the London Metropolitan University, Dr. Linda was appointed Reader in Psychology in 2001 – a great distinction at such a young age. In addition to her academic research she was recently asked by the British Government to conduct a review on the sexualisation of young people and its link to domestic violence which was published in 2010 (view PDF). The publication of the review received positive attention from politicians, stake-holders and the media.
Dr. Linda is a Chartered Counselling and Health Psychologist and an Associate Fellow of the BPS. She has worked in various treatment settings both privately, with her own practice and in the National Health Service. During her 14 years as a Chartered Psychologist, she has gained extensive experience in the counselling of individuals, couples and families. She was recently included in the Top 20 therapists in London by the Evening Standard newspaper and was awarded the Madame Figaro Women of the Year Award in 2008 in the field of academia.
As well as her clinical and academic work Dr. Linda is often enlisted to consult with large corporations who want to utilize her research and academic background to effectively conduct studies and analyze quantitative and qualitative data. Her analysis provides major brands such as Dior, Speedo, and Renault with valuable insight on topics such as consumer behaviour. The results of her research are often included in written material for general circulation and press releases. Similarly, Dr. Linda’s experience as a behavioral scientist has also been used to help brands understand consumer behaviour issues behind their ideas and to help develop and execute research plans for PR and marketing campaigns. Her research background combined with her role as a well-known social commentator and psychologist are integral to Dr. Linda’s ability to communicate complex scientific ideas and concepts in an interesting and engaging way.
Over the past decade Dr. Linda has become one of the most well recognized faces on British TV. She is a regular commentator on psychological issues in broadcast, radio and print media. She was part of the original Channel 4 team on the reality TV phenomenon “Big Brother” and went on to host the Channel 5 shows “Doctor Doctor” and “Double Cross”. She has fronted factual segments on ITV’s This Morning, BBC’s The One Show and has also provided professional psychological commentary for numerous British television and radio programs such as Channel 5’s The Wright Stuff, BBC Breakfast, and ITV’s LK Today. Her expert opinions are also regularly featured on news programmes including, CNN, Sky News, ITN news and BBC24. Dr. Linda has also appeared on American TV shows such as “The Early Show” on CBS, CNN and VH-1’s “Celebrity Fit Club”.
With a prolific and distinguished career that she loves and which keeps her very busy Dr. Linda values her free time with her husband and their young daughter. As a psychologist and as a mother Dr Linda is passionate that young women develop a healthy self-esteem and body image. Her philosophy is that feeling good about yourself, your passions and achievements inevitably leads to looking good and most importantly liking who you see in the mirror…
- Graduate Basis for Registration from the British Psychological Society (BPS) in October 1994
- BPS Chartered Counselling Psychologist in May 1997
- BPS Chartered as a Health Psychologist in May 1998
- Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society January 2001
- Chartered Scientist January 2006
- Associate Member of the Royal Society of Medicine 2008
- Health Professions Council Certified Practitioner 2010
Membership of Professional Groups
- The All Parliamentary Group on Skin
- The Medical and Research Committee of the Vitiligo Society
- The Disfigurement Interest Group
Academic Posts Held
- 2001- appointed Reader in Psychology at London Metropolitan University
- 2000-2001: Deputy Programme Director of all Counselling Psychology programmes (MSc, Post MSc, D. Couns.Psych) at London Guildhall University*.
- 1999-2000: Course Director of the MSc in Counselling Psychology at London Guildhall University*.
- 1998-2001: Senior Lecturer in Counselling Psychology
- 1998-1998: Lecturer in Psychology
- 1998-2001: Visiting Lecturer Royal Free Medical School
- 1996-1998: Teaching Fellow City University.
*Now London Metropolitan University
Editorial Boards and Related Work
I have sat on the editorial board of :
- Counselling Psychology Review
- I have been asked to review papers for the following journals:
- British Journal of Medical Psychology
- Psychology, Health and Illness
- Counselling Psychology Review
- European Journal of Paediatric Dermatology
- Psychology and Health